Author: Mike Gardiner
This blog entry is a continuation of the questions most frequently asked by our customers. Again, I will attempt to answer these questions as clearly as possible.
22. Do I pay when I drop off the tile? No, we accept payment when the job is complete.
21. Do you do mosaics? Yes, however, other than our Woodale, Illinois location, we do not specialize in mosaic production (currently) and normally only make mosaics for customers in emergency situations. Our Woodale, Illinois location does specialize in mosaics and will be happy to make your mosaic tiles.
20. Do you have contractor pricing? Not specifically; our pricing discounts are based on quantities ordered.
19. How many pieces before a price break? We have price breaks at 101 pieces, 501 pieces and 1001 pieces. To qualify for the discount, the entire order has to be the same tile, same size and same color.
18. Who is that freaky looking dude on the wet saw? Just seeing if you were paying attention.
17. Do you make the bullnose from scratch? This seems to be a common misconception. We make bullnose out of your existing field tile. By doing so we eliminate all possibility of non-matching dye lots between field tile and bullnose tile.
16. Do you take credit cards? Currently only our Wooddale, Illinois and Sarasota, Florida locations accept credit cards.
15. How big of a tile can you bullnose? The largest tile we can apply a glazed bullnose edge to is 24 inches. Our Dallas, Texas and Sarasota, Florida locations can glaze a tile up to 36 inches. All locations can bullnose tiles up to 36 inches that don’t require glaze.
14. How do you choose the glaze color? Generally we match the dominant color of your field tile and then add additional “speckling” of other glaze colors if needed. Each glazed bullnose order is individually matched and will have its own glaze formula. These formulas are put in a database and saved should you ever need additional pieces. However, if you do need additional pieces, a sample of the previously made bullnose is appreciated for quality control purposes.
13. What glaze color options are there? If your field tile is a solid color, we will match that solid color. If your field tile is a stone look, we match the dominant color of your field tile and then add additional “speckling” of other glaze colors as needed. There are certain field tiles we cannot match, like candy apple red. This requires the use of leaded glazes (all of our glazes are lead free) in order to match the color.
If you have any additional questions or you would like clarification on one of the answers above please leave a comment.
Author: Mike Gardiner
Recently I asked all our locations what are the most common questions they get either in person or over the phone. Over the course of the next several blog posts I will attempt to answer these questions.
31. Can you bullnose irregular shapes? You bet: triangles, 3-sided, 4 sided, corners, curbs, rectangles, trapezoids and rhomboids. Heck, if you can think of a reason to bullnose a circle, we can do that too.
30. Can I save money by cutting the field tile myself? The cost to you is the same whether you cut the field tile or we cut the tile (so really why cut it yourself?). We have found that we can maintain a higher quality product if you allow us to cut your field tile.
29. Can I wait while you do my bullnose? No, with one exception. If you happen to have a couple pieces of non-glazed bullnose that does not require any cutting, and we have time to fit you in, we might be able to do it while you wait.
28. Can we fabricate a specific size? Yes. As long as the bullnose size you want is smaller than your field tile we can do it.
27. How much field tile is needed? In the course of manufacturing bullnose, some breakage will occur. Imperfections in the field tile will cause breakage during the process including the cutting, bullnosing and kiln firing of the tile. We normally make a few extra pieces but you will only be charged for what you order. The following table shows the percentage of extra field tile we recommend you send with your order. All the field tile that is not used will be returned with your completed order.
26. Can we match an existing piece of bullnose? This is a tough one. We can always match the bullnose size and usually the glaze color but not always the “profile” of the bullnose. In order for us to determine if a match is possible we will have to physically see the piece of bullnose to be matched.
25. Can you glaze red body tile? Just like the glaze that covers your red bodied field tile, our glaze also will cover the red bisque.
24. Can you put me on the schedule before I drop off tile? No; we schedule orders when the tile arrives at our facility. In the past, we have scheduled customers’ orders ahead of time and the tile has never shown up. This causes everyone to get their bullnose order later than necessary.
23. Do I need an appointment? No you don’t. Please stop by any of our locations during business hours, and we will be able to schedule your order.
If you have any additional questions or need clarification of the answers above, please leave a comment.
President of American Bullnose of California